DOMESTIC VIOLENCE IS A CRIME!
The Haven Battered Women’s Shelter Inc.
The Haven Purpose and Goals
The purpose of the Haven is to provide emergency shelter and services for victims of family violence and sexual assault.
It is the goal at The Haven to provide victims of family violence with the necessary information, resources, support, a protected head start and supportive follow-up to complete the transition out of a violent lifestyle and into a successful, independent living.
What You Can Do: if you are a victim-seek help, you are not alone, Call the toll-Free Crisis Line:
1-800-33HAVEN or (229) 244-1765
Visit us on the web at www.valdostahaven.org
Domestic Violence Facts:
1. A woman is physically abused every nine seconds in this country. Many go unreported.
2. Two-thirds of attacks on women are committed by someone she knows, often a husband or boyfriend.
3. In 50% of battered women cases, the children are battered as well.
4. 60% of boys ages 11 to 20 who are arrested for homicide have attempted to murder the men who are abusing their mother.
5. Children from abusive homes are 1000 times more likely to abuse their spouse or their own children,
If you are Being Abused…
1. Call the Haven for information on resources that are available to you and for assistance developing a safety plan.
2. Call the 24-Hour Hotline: 1-800-33HAVEN
3. Teach your children to call 911 in case of an emergency.
4. Tell family and/or friends about the abuse. The shame belongs to your abuser… not to you.
5. Keep important documents (such as birth certificated, social security cards, green cards, financial records) along with extra sets of house and car keys hidden and available to you in case of an emergency exit.
6. Trust yourself and stay safe.
The Echols County Sheriff’s Office is required by law to investigate and report acts of family violence and will assist the victims of family violence in anyway. Your safety and that of your children’s is our number one concern. Call 911 for assistance.